To all lovers of community,
Vimala’s Curryblossom Cafe is seeking more employees to help serve our community healthy, delicious food. We’re looking for team players who see what needs to be done in the kitchen and can take initiative. Our restaurant is both a very busy, fast-paced business and a warm, hospitable community space. Knowledge of food is important. You must be available to work on Friday and Saturday evenings.
To apply, fill out our application. Application required. We encourage (but don’t require) a resume and cover letter or a page telling us more about who you are and what you’re passionate about.
The best times to come and talk to someone as you drop off your application at 431 W. Franklin St. in the Courtyard in Chapel Hill are 11am-3pm or 9:30-10pm Tuesday through Friday. If you’d just like to drop off your application 5-6pm is also a good time.
We believe we grow our community by engaging intentionally in the farm to fork process and living our vision of creative resiliency. We seek to bring our community together with love, warmth and hospitality over delicious, healthy food. We prioritize worker, environmental, and social justice; accessibility through affordability; and sustainability at every level. We believe in living wages for all workers. At our restaurant we pay $10 an hour plus tips. We are exploring creative ways to partner with local health care practitioners and we are working towards offering benefits to our workers.
Our producers are local, our investors local, and our long-term goals are about transforming the local economy. We strive to source our produce and meat from nearby family farms; organize our workplace around joy and liberation; honor the land and our relationship to it; be an incubator for artists; and practice interdependence with other organizations and small businesses who share our values.
Criteria we consider in hiring:
1. Passion for what we are doing (our mission and vision).
2. Teachability and openness.
3. Strong listening and communication skills.
4. Honesty about limitations and eagerness to grow.
5. Good work ethic.
6. Speed in the kitchen and on the floor.
7. Experience and familiarity with restaurant business.
8. Team spirit.
9. Initiative and resourcefulness (an ability to perceive need and
10. Ability to work cheerfully and adaptively under pressure.
12. Warmth, friendliness, and fully embodied hospitality.
13. Commitment to an empowered workforce, a just, safe, and engaging
14. Commitment to quality, and the success and well being of the
entire team and the business.
15. Commitment to food justice, sustainability, and land stewardship.
16. Commitment to social, racial, environmental and economic justice for all.
17. People we want to be around for the rest of our lives.
18. Willingness to be sanitary and compliant with safe food handling practices.